This mission aims to ensure that the rule of law in the EU is upheld by:
- Adding a Citizenship & Democracy Report to the existing Rule of Law Report and establishing a Commission with real power to sanction breaches of the Copenhagen Criteria.
- Establishing and empowering citizens’ panels to involve citizens in the EU’s law-making process.
- Democratising media companies by widening the pool of board members, ensuring media ownership is transparent, and making The Media Freedom Act an EU directive. In addition, by introducing a system of vouchers distributed to citizens to be used to fund their preferred media outlets, effectively decoupling state subsidy from state control of the media.
- Treating threats against journalists as aggravated crimes - incurring stiffer penalties - and capping the costs of defence against SLAPPs.
- Ensuring all citizens have equal access to justice through ‘Citizens’ Advocates’ in each EU member state; as well as by rolling out ‘Law Clinics’ to help labour and social law claims, by contributing to fundamental rights lawsuits brought by Civil Society Organisations, and by developing a legal aid website dedicated to the question: ‘What are my rights?’